Nothing is quite as stunning as the United States’ East Coast in the fall. The picturesque fall foliage, rugged coast line, scenic drives – and the sweater weather, of course – make for a perfect road trip with your significant other.
We had always wanted to drive up the East Coast, so when we got an invitation to a wedding in October in Charleston, SC, we finally had the perfect excuse to make it happen. This time, we would drive 3,700 miles across 16 states. And while we left a little too early to hit the fall foliage at its prime, we enjoyed every minute of our trip.
Our East Coast Road Trip Itinerary
- Day 1 – Drive from Indianapolis, IN, to Charleston, SC (12 hours)
- Day 2 – Explore Charleston
- Day 3 – Wedding Day
- Day 4 – Drive to Baltimore, MD (8.5 hours)
- Day 5 – Explore Washington, D.C.
- Day 6 – Drive to Salem, MA (7 hours)
- Day 7 – Explore Salem
- Day 8 – Drive to Portsmouth, NH (1 hour)
- Explore Portsmouth
- Day 9 – Drive to Bangor, ME, (2 hours 46 minutes)
- Explore Bangor
- Day 10 – Drive to Acadia National Park (1 hour)
- Explore Acadia National Park
- Day 11 – Drive to Lewiston, NY
- Day 12 – See Niagara Falls then Drive Home to Indianapolis